I have been trying to convince my friends and co-workers to go to tonight's Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs show at the Mohawk. One of the things I've been telling them is that it could be one of the most important shows of the year. Sure, that's somewhat hyperbolic but I honestly believe it. TEED's music is completely infectious and undeniably good. In Europe he is already performing at festivals so, to have the opportunity to see him play in the tiny little room inside the Mohawk is an extremely rare opportunity. Tonight's show will be one of those experiences where you'll tell people you saw TEED and the Mohawk inside and they'll be flabbergasted. All of the elements of future fame are there. He's got blogger buzz, he's big in the U.K., he has the approval of platinum-selling superstars, and he's on the verge of releasing his debut full-length album. I didn't even mention the best part, which is that tickets are only $10. I had the chance to send some questions to TEED in anticipation of tonight's show at the Mohawk and you can find those below the break. In the meantime, you should desk-dance to this song:
Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs - Tapes & Money video via YouTube
- You've been called the hot new dance act from England in numerous publications. Is that inspiring or does it simply inspire pressure and stress?
- What has been the most surreal moment of your music career thus far?
- What has been the most encouraging thing for you so far? Most discouraging?
- When other people remix your music does it feel like they're messing with your children or do you enjoy hearing other's interpretations of your music?
- I'm sure you've been asked to do lots of remixes for other people in the past year or more, which request was the most shocking to you? Who would you like to remix but haven't yet?
Errr...honestly, that's just weird. I like making music and I'm really happy people like what I make.
It's always surreal traveling around dressing up playing music.
It's good when people make noise and dance, it's bad when I don't get enough sleep.
No, it's cool. The original is always finished first so I'm happy to hear what people do with it.
Lady Gaga definitely, I didn't think that would happen. I would like to remix people with completely different sounds to me.
Lady Gaga - Marry the Night Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaur remix via YouTube
- Can Austin expect the full, dinosaur-costume, head-dress, on-stage dancer regalia at the Mohawk or did you have to scale back your stage production for the U.S. tour
- If money and general feasibility were no object, what sort of stage show would you create?
- Do you still have/wear your first dino-costume that your mother helped you to sew?
Wait and see... but yeah, I had to fly.
I don't know. I think a good show is one that makes the most out of the shitty venues and small amounts of money we have to play with. I've still got a way to go there.
I've still got it somewhere, but it's been a while since I put it on. Maybe I should get it back out.