Friday, March 20, 2009
Well dear reader, I'm sure you've been waiting all night to hear about the Rock the Rabbit party. Well I can now tell you for sure that it is not a myth. I went last night, got home around 3:45AM, I actually left before it was over. I have to keep this brief cause I'm due back downtown again...like now. So Jane's Addiction was the headliner and they KILLED. If we're being honest, I'm really not a big fan but they were amazing live. Perry is the ringmaster gliding around the stage making faces and being a rock star. Dave Navarro is some sort of guitar deity, I swear all he does is work out, bang models and kick ass at guitar. The crowd was loving Jane's and apparently everyone knew they were going to be there.
Kenan Bell was also right on point. He brought big energy to his rhymes and the 4-piece rock band playing his beats was SOOO tight. They really brought the people through the door.
All these photos are courtesy of James Trevenen.
More review after the jump...
So, I didn't really notice any celebrities, but Big Boi was there and allegedly Michael Stipe. I don't believe Stipe though because there is a dude who lives here in Austin who looks JUST like him, same glasses and all.
There was an open bar, with plenty of non-alcoholic choices too! Including my personal fav, which is hard to come by in Texas, Ginger-Ale, yeah Ginger-Ale!! The weirdest thing for me, was the Playboy magazines scattered about to flip through. It just seemed...so adult? Of course there were bunnies there too. They are SOO young, I wanted to check their ID's but I'm sure Heff is all over that. Each bunny had their own Secret Service type, which I thought was really smart considering the open bar.
The last thing I'll mention is, this party was in a former grocery store and it was the loudest most disco-fied grocery store you will ever go to. The roof was arched, which really intensified the sound. I hope to God my dear readers are using ear protection at SXSW this year. You're not too cool for hearing loss believe me.
Anyway, I gots to get downtown, I'm missing all the action. Here's my picks for the day in brief:
Wait, I just realized I didn't mention who the DJ's were..."Calvin Harris, A-Track and Bassnectar. Back to my picks for your day partying:
Homosexuals (5pm), Cursive (4pm), Gary War (3pm), Crystal Stilts (2pm), Eat Skull (1pm) at End of an Ear [free]
Handsome Furs (6pm), Telepathe (5pm), Black Joe Lewis (4pm), Heartless Bastards (3pm), Vetiver (2pm) at Waterloo Records [free]
The AV Club and Canvas Media present It's Pronounced Par-TAY
* Trail Of Dead (5pm), Ra Ra Riot (4pm), Cut Off Yr Hands (3pm), Gentleman Reg (2pm), The Thermals (1pm), Cuff The Duke (noon) at Radio Room (508 E. 6th St.) [outside stage]
* Future Of The Left (5pm), Parenthetical Girls (4pm), Dappled Cities (3pm), Young Galaxy (2pm), Chikita Violenta (1pm), Ohbijou (noon) at Radio Room (508 E. 6th St.) [inside stage]
Pitchfork/Windish Austin Bash
* Department of Eagles (5:30pm), King Khan & the Shrines (4:30pm), Wavves (3:30pm), Woods (2:30pm), Max Tundra (1:30pm), The Mae Shi (12:30pm) at Emo's [outside stage]
* A-Trak/Major Lazer (ft. Diplo) (5pm), Dirty Projectors (4pm), School of Seven Bells (3pm), The Pains of Being Pure at Heart (2pm), Little Boots (1pm), Girls (noon) at Emo's [inside stage]
Soundcheck Magazine 3rd Birthday Party
* Port O'Brien (5:20pm), Fanfarlo (4:25pm), Blind Pilot (3:40pm), Pete and the Pirates (2:55pm), Harlem Shakes (2:10pm), The Antlers (1:35pm), Motel Motel (12:55pm), Moth!Fight! (12:10pm) at Emo's Annex (across Red River from Emo's)]
Chromewaves, Aquarium Drunkard, Gorilla Vs Bear, Largehearted Boy, My Old Kentucky Blog and You Ain't No Picasso present Hot Freaks
* Insound's 10th Anniversary SXSW Party with The Hold Steady (4:30pm), The Thermals (3:30pm), American Analog Set (playing The Golden Band, 2:30pm), Handsome Furs (1:30pm), Obits (12:30pm) at Club Deville
* Richard Swift (4:30pm), Alela Diane (3:30pm), These United States (2:30pm), We Have Band (1:30pm), The Rural Alberta Advantage (12:30pm) at the Mohawk [inside stage]
* Delta Spirit (5pm), The Rosebuds (4pm), Port O'Brien (3pm), The Henry Clay People (2pm), Bishop Allen (1pm), The Wrens (noon) at the Mohawk [outside stage, free, RSVP]
KOOP Radio's Now Playing Austin and AustinSound.net present Now Playing Austin Sound Day Party
* Loxsly (4:45pm), Lemurs (4pm), Corto Maltese (3:15pm), Black Before Red (2:30pm,), Oh No! Oh My! (1:45pm), BASIC (1pm), Pop Unknown (12:15pm), Businessman DJs (between sets and at end) at the Creekside Lounge [Now Playing Austin stage, inside, free with RSVP]
* The Shivers (5:15pm), Mellow Owl (4:30pm), Dana Falconberry (3:45pm), Tom Brosseau (3pm), Fight Bite (2:15pm), The Lovely Sparrows (1:30pm), Ferraby Lionheart (12:45pm), Gina Dvorak (noon) at the Creekside Lounge [AustinSound stage, outside]
Filter Magazine's Showdown at Cedar Street
* White Lies (5pm), Razorlight (4pm), Late of the Pier (3:15pm), The Whip (2:30pm), Wild Light (1:45pm), Anya Marina (1pm), Bat For Lashes listening event (noon) at Cedar Street (208 W. 4th) [free, free BBQ noon-1pm, RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org]
The Levi's/Fader Fort
* The Tripwire presents Peter Bjorn and John (7:45pm), Tinted Windows (6:45pm), Hatcham Social (6pm), Women (5:15pm), We Have Band (4:30pm), Pains of Being Pure at Heart (3:45pm), Solid Gold (3:05pm), Coupleskate (2:20pm), The Love Language (1:40pm), Kidz in the Hall (1pm), DJs Round Table Knights, The GrooveLayers, Holy Ghost!, Flosstradamus at The Levi's/Fader Fort (1101 E. 5th St.) [RSVP]
Spin Magazine presents
* Echo & the Bunnymen, Hot Leg (Justin Hawkins from Darkness), Black Lips, Glasvegas, Passion Pit, Cut Off Your Hands, DJ sets by NASA and Crystal Method at Stubb's [invite-only]
Music by the Slice 2009
* The Von Bondies (6:45pm), Say Hi (6pm), Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit (5:15pm), The Republic Tigers (4:30pm), Rural Alberta Advantage (3:45pm), Alberta Cross (3pm), Ferraby Lionheart (2:15pm), Telekinesis (1:30pm), We Were Promised Jet Packs (12:45pm), Horse Feathers (noon) at Home Slice Pizza (1415 S. Congress Ave.) [outside stage, free]
* Wiretree (12:30, 1:15, 2:00), Still Flyin` (2:45, 3:30, 4:15), Cale Parks (5:00, 5:45, 6:30) at Home Slice Pizza (1415 S. Congress Ave.) [house stage, free]
Advanced Alternative Media presents
* Earthless with special guest J Mascis (5pm), Mi Ami (4:30pm), Burke (4pm), YellowFever (3:30pm), Charles Hamilton (3pm), Crocodiles (2:30), The Mae Shi (2pm), Titus Andronicus (1:30pm), HEALTH (1pm), That Ghost (12:30pm), Parenthetical Girls (12pm) at Habana Calle 6 Annex (708 E. 6th St.) [free, 21+, food and drink first come, first served]
Old Flame Records presents
* Dead Confederate (4pm), Twin Tigers (3pm), Mean Creek (2pm), The Winter Sounds (1pm) at the thirsty Nickel (325 E. 6th St.)
+1 Records House Party
* Morning Benders, Illinois, Kenan Bell, Eulogies, THe Postelles, Trainwreck Riders, Let's Wrestle, ShadowScene at the Legendary Hank Sinatra's (2407 Riverside Farms Rd.) [noon-6pm]
MyOpenBar.com presents Four Square Punk
* Dark Meat, The Mae Shi, Pre, PoPo (5-7pm), The Death Set, Mika Miko, Finally Punk, Tyvek (2-5pm), DJ Emily Rabbit at 902 E. Cesar Chavez [free, 4 stages and a bus, bands alternate songs, rollerskating rink with free skate rentals, RSVP]
After the Jump Festival house party
* Superdrag, The Parenthetical Girls, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Cause Co-Motion, Blank Dogs, Nite Jewel, Girls, Golden Triangle, US Royalty at 1204 Salina St. [1pm-11pm, free, free beer]
Lucero Family Picnic
* Lucero (5pm), Felice Brothers (4pm), Glossary (3:15pm), Fake Problems (2:30pm), Langhorne Slim (1:45pm), The River City Tanlines (1pm), Sam Lowry (12:30pm) at the Dirty Dog Bar (505 East 6th St.) [free]
Other Music & Dig for Fire Lawn Party
* Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson (6pm), These Are Powers (5pm), Wavves (4pm), Marnie Stern (3pm), BLK JKS (2pm), Here We Go Magic (1pm), Dent May (noon) at the French Legation Museum (802 San Marcos St.) [tent stage]
* The Tallest Man On Earth (5:30pm), Laura Gibson (4:30pm), Telekinesis (3:30pm), J. Tillman (2:30pm), Asa (1:30pm), Virgin Forest (12:30pm) at the French Legation Museum (802 San Marcos St.) [valley stage, free]