The performance itself was electric in every sense of the word. Clark's family was seated in the row behind me and you could feel how proud they were, three generations of beaming family members thrilled to see how far he's come in his short life. Every solo seemed to send the crowd into a frenzy. Clark plays basic blues but the audience was reacting as if he invented the guitar and he was playing as if he had. He tore through most of his latest record, Blak and Blu with some blues standards and earlier songs mixed in. He didn't stick with the setlist and definitely played much longer than what will appear on television. With most of the songs stretching beyond the 5 minute mark I do not envy the editors who will have to trim his set down to 30 minutes or less.
Gary Clark Jr - Ain't Messin' 'Round video via YouTube
Both of this weekend's ACL TV tapings were streamed live on YouTube, which I think is a great idea. The demand to attend tapings is already huge so streaming the performances gives a lot more people the opportunity to be a part of the magic. Not only that, as I mentioned the performances that people give are always much more than what makes it to PBS so this gives the audience a chance to see what doesn't make it on the air. Austin is nothing like it was when Austin City Limits started and I'm glad that the show is changing along with the times and the city. I also feel very lucky to have the chance to attend so many tapings.
If you want a chance to attend a taping with three of your friends, that is just ONE of the outrageously fantastic prizes for The Big Deal contest. For the cost of a $25 raffle ticket you could be a VIP at all of the coolest events in Austin.
- Check out this prize pack:
- 2 3-Day VIP Passes to the 2013 Austin City Limits Music Festival
- 2 Music Badges to the 2013 SXSW Conference
- 4 Passes to 1 (one) Austin City Limits taping - Season 39
- 2 Producers Badges to the 2013 Austin Film Festival
- 2 PIP 3-Day Passes to Fun Fun Fun Fest 8
- 2 Tickets to the 2013 KLRU Benefit Concert
- 2 You Betcha I'm Somebody Passes to the 2013 Moontower Comedy and Oddity Festival
- 2 tickets to a KUT Live Studio 1-A Broadcast & Tour of the new KUT Public Media Studios with a music host
- 2 Seats to a performance in the KGSR Music Lounge
- 1 Night Stay at the W Austin
- 2 VIP Tickets to a 2013 Austin Film Society film premiere
- 2 Tickets to an ACL Live at The Moody Theater show
- 1 $50 gift certificate to Waterloo Records This contest is limited to Texas residents but if you'd like to win this amazing prize, buy as many raffle tickets as you can afford!